|TIPO DE BECA||CODIGO||PAIS||LUGAR||ACTIVIDAD||INICIA||TERMINA|
||KVDA/MLTV/2020/25||KENIA||Ebuyangu, Vihiga County||Community Based Organization||20/07/2020||31/12/2020|
Project Name: Roddy’s eco Cover Environmental Project
Location: Ebuyangu, Vihiga County
Service Sector: Community Based Organization
OVERVIEW ON HOSTING ORGANIZATION
• Kenya Voluntary Development Association (KVDA) is an indigenous, non-political
and membership organization which is non-sectarian and non-profit making
started in 1962 as a work camp organization registered under the Societies’ Act. In
1993, KVDA was registered as a Non-Governmental organization by the
establishment of the NGOs Coordination Act.
• KVDA has since inception hosted over 50, 000 international volunteers to its
community service development projects that have left indelible mark to efforts to
enhance sustainable development.
• Roddy’s Eco-Cover is a community based organization founded in 2011 to
champion environmental awareness with forestry as key concern
• The project was established by members of the local community with the aim of
empowerment for the less fortunate members in the quest to tackle development
challenges at the grassroots.
• Its major focus is on environmental concern to mitigate the effects of climate
change and foster inter-cultural education among the local community
• The project is located at Ebuyangu village in Emuhaya constituency in Vihiga
country that is situated in Western Kenya
• It is situated 430 Kilometers away from Nairobi city and its located in an area that
is famed for cultural diversity due to the high population density
• The volunteers will be hosted in a homestead to experience cultural diversity and
learn to live and interact with members of the host community in an atmosphere
of cooperation and solidarity
• This project has hosted previously both local and international volunteers and it
has great potential for the replication of its activities in equally challenging
circumstances in other regions of Kenya
• Manual work and intercultural activities
• Agro forestry that will include tree planting
• Preparation of tree nurseries and weeding
• Land scaping and tending to bamboo trees in the natural habitat
• Cleanup activities
• Naming of trees
• Home visits
• Inter-cultural learning coupled with home visits for exposure to development
• Possibility to visit the historic sites like Hippo point on Lake Victoria in Kisumu
City, renowned Kakamega Rain Forest and the Equator point at Maseno
University; among other spectacular sites of interest in the region. However, this
will be done most probably during the weekends.
PROJECT START DATES
• Volunteers are accepted to join this project at any time of the year and should
arrive in Kenya on 20th day of the month. The duration of placement is flexible
depending on the availability of the volunteer
• 2-day orientation seminar will be done on the 21st and 22nd of every month
• The project participation fee is Euro 200 per month paid upfront on arrival
to the cover costs stipulated the entire duration of the project.
• Monthly payment of participation fees is not allowed for conventional purposes.
• Volunteers accepted on MLTV project for one month will pay Euros 300 for the
one month placement.
What is included in the participation fee?
• Return transfers from the airport
• Full board at the project (Accommodation and meals provided at the project)
• Orientation, evaluation and monitoring
• Volunteer mentorship
What is not included in the participation fee?
• Travel to and from the project. The volunteer will be required to pay for the bus
• Refreshments outside the project
• Air ticket and excursion
• Visa and Insurance
• Local travel
• personal effects
ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS
• Home stay and the volunteer is entitled to private room but will share other
amenities and meals with the host family.
• It is convenient for the volunteer to carry sleeping bag, mat and personal effects.
• KVDA has a memorandum of understanding with the host project regarding the
project costs with appropriate procedures, checks and balances.
• Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi is the port of arrival and KVDA
will designate a driver for the airport pick up.
• We strongly advice volunteers against getting taxis on their own without
reference to KVDA due to the obvious risks and in case of any challenges on
arrival kindly contact KVDA via mobile telephone 0721650357
• Volunteers will be driven to the YMCA South hostels located 15 Kilometers away
from the airport where they will be accommodated ahead of their placement to
• The residence is situated in the serene environment with amble space for
recreation and spectacular setting as the inauguration of volunteering to make a
difference in the world.
• Kenya is replete with a lot of interesting and natural spectacular sites of interest
that would capture the imagination of volunteers.
• From the tour to the renowned Maasai Mara Game Reserve to visits to local
community beholding sights, the volunteers have the previledge to make choices
that would fundamentally make the difference.
• The project also offers a perfect opportunity for people who enjoy being close to
nature and are interested in the spectacular setting that traditional way of living
in the heartland of the African culture would enrich your cultural heritage
Laundry and water:
• Water is available at the hosting house from springs and it is important to
preserve water at all times due to its scarcity and cooperation with the hosts will
be highly appreciated
• There are no washing machines in the institution and the volunteer will be guided
on how to wash clothes
• Volunteers are expected to have their own medical insurance and other personal
expenses and it is important to carry your own medical and travel insurances.
• Mentor for the volunteer from the hosting organisation: KVDA
will designate its staff to play the role of mentoring and this is the vital link
between the volunteer and the organization. The Mentor has the responsibility to
enable the volunteer to efficiently execute their tasks with diligence.
• Function of mentor: advise, educate, be a role model to the volunteers;
providing problem solving, collaborative support, positive and non-evaluative
feedback and emotional support for volunteers; to provide comfort, exposure,
visibility and challenging assignments which directly support the volunteer’s
personal and professional development; to provide counselling and friendship to
support the volunteer’s self-image and competence and thus to listen, guide,
advice, teach and offer professional support to the volunteers
• The mentor will be available for the volunteer as a constant supporting person.
However, he/she should not be directly involved in the daily work of the
• Mentor’s Experience with international volunteers: More than 3
years’ experience with international volunteers
Project participants: Maximum 20 volunteers from different nationalities
recruited through KVDA partner organizations
What to carry: This is outlined in the detailed info sheet and includes, sleeping bag
and mat, toiletries, torch, flashlight, sandals, mosquito net, national flag from your
country, among others
DONATION AND GIFTS: These are usually symbolic gestures to enhance the
solidarity of volunteers and the hosting community. Kindly contact KVDA for details in
case you are willing to support a worthy cause in the community either by offering a
donation or long-term intervention on the project.
APPL ICATIONS: Should be done at least one month in advance through KVDA
partner organization in respective countries. KVDA does not accept direct applications by
Esta beca tiene una cuota adicional, que deberás pagar antes de participar en el proyecto.
Esta beca cuenta con financiamiento para boleto de avión (VIVE FINANCE NO APLICA para beneficiarios de Programa Manos por el Mundo)
Adquiere tu seguro de viajero, VIVE ASSIST te ofrece tarifas preferenciales para adquirir tu seguro de viajero, asistencia de viaje 24/7, médica, personal y legal. Así mismo este programa te apoya a resolver todas las dudas sobre tus traslados al lugar donde fuiste aceptado, te dan orientación sobre vuelos, trenes y todo lo que necesites saber sobre tu viaje.