|TIPO DE BECA||CODIGO||PAIS||LUGAR||ACTIVIDAD||INICIA||TERMINA|
||KVDA/MLTV/2020/16||KENIA||NYAMIRA COUNTY||CULTURAL CENTER||20/07/2020||31/12/2020|
Project Name: Nyamira Missionaries Cultural
Location: NYAMIRA COUNTY
Service Sector: CULTURAL CENTER
OVERVIEW ON HOSTING ORGANIZATION
• Kenya Voluntary Development Association (KVDA) is an indigenous, non-political
and membership organization which is non-sectarian and non-profit making
started in 1962 as a work camp organization registered under the Societies’ Act. In
1993, KVDA was registered as a Non-Governmental organization by the
establishment of the NGOs Coordination Act.
• KVDA has since inception hosted over 50, 000 international volunteers to its
community service development projects that have left indelible mark to efforts to
enhance sustainable development.
Project Name: Nyamira Missionaries Cultural
Location: NYAMIRA COUNTY
Service Sector: CULTURAL CENTER
To be the best cultural performers and handicraft makers in Kenya
To create an environment where personal and cultural change that support each other in the context
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
1. To establish a presence of a successful suppler of soapstone carvings, clay and wooden artifacts
locally and internationally.
2. To gain a substantial market share of the artifacts and cultural performance and tourist centre at
local and international level.
3. To run orphanage home to cater for orphans and children from poor families for their shelter,
food and education.
4. To engage into community development for empowering women and youth for them to be self-
reliant in generating income and being in touch with socio-political realities in the country and at
5. To engage into voluntary services at local and international level with interested organizations
who have common objectives with our organizations to improves living standards of human beings
across the world.
Nyamira missionaries was founded and registered with social development in 2002 in Kenya.
The organization is located at Nyaramba -Nyamira County in South Nyanza Region of Kenya.
The organization consists of 137 members consisting men, women, youth who vary the age of 18
years to even 80 years. The organization has the office at Nyaramba market in Nyamira county
about 10 km from Nyamira town on way to Ikonge town ship center.
The organization is managed is managed by executive committee that consists of chairperson,
vice chairperson, the secretary, Vice Secretary, Treasurer and 5 members.
The organization runs the following projects;
NYARAMBA MISSIONARIES CENTER
The project attracts local and international travellers who come to relax and watch the following
a. The traditional Gusii cultural dances. These live performances that one session takes 1
hour. The dance troupe dances all Gusii cultural styles in African attires .It offers
entertainment, education and information. The dance is quite vigorous and moving
b. The artefacts are also displayed for general viewing and sale for both local and
international visitors. These items are made by group members and it is one way of raising
the income to up keep the organization and create self-employment for the members
who always assemble at organization center to engage in this activity. They are
professional and they have had exchange program with Burundi and Malawi in the past.
The organization is looking for partners and volunteers from local and international level
to run the program.
c. The volunteers’ rooms that are self-contained ,clean, have warm water, and have even all
facilities even for cooking for those local and international tourists who may wish to
prepare for their own choice of food. The rooms are allocated at organization offices in
good conducive environment with security and friendly neighbouhood. The organization
welcomes local and international tourists to come for holidays and weekends to its
d. The organization engages in African beautiful baskets weaving that takes place at its
organization premises .They sell locally and internationally. Therefore the organization is
looking for partners and volunteers to create the market in Kenya and across the country.
• Take care of orphans
• Art work
• Women training on self-awareness and confidence building
• Women training on entrepreneurship skills and financial management
• Meetings and media campaign on women empowerment in leadership
• Home visits and topical discussion with the local people
PROJECT START DATES
• Volunteers are accepted to join this project at any time of the year and should
arrive in Kenya on 20th day of the month. The duration of placement is flexible
depending on the availability of the volunteer
• 2-day orientation seminar will be done on the 21st and 22nd of every month
• The project participation fee is Euro 200 per month paid upfront on arrival
to the cover costs stipulated for the entire duration of the project.
• Monthly payment of participation fees is not allowed for conventional purposes.
• Volunteers accepted on MLTV project for one month will pay Euros 300 for the
one month placement.
What is included in the participation fee?
• Return transfers from the airport.
• Full board at the project (Accommodation and meals provided at the project)
• Orientation, evaluation and monitoring
• Volunteer mentorship
What is not included in the participation fee?
• Travel to and from the project. The volunteer will be required to pay for the bus
• Refreshments outside the project
• Air ticket
• Visa and Insurance
• Local travel
• Personal effects
ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS
• Home stay and the volunteer is entitled to private room but will share other
amenities and meals with the host family.
• It is convenient for the volunteer to carry sleeping bag, mat and personal effects.
• KVDA has a memorandum of understanding with the host project regarding the
project costs with appropriate procedures, checks and balances.
• Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi is the port of arrival and KVDA
will designate a driver for the airport pick up.
• We strongly advice volunteers against getting taxis on their own without
reference to KVDA due to the obvious risks and in case of any challenges on
arrival kindly contact KVDA via mobile telephone 0721650357
• Volunteers will be driven to the YMCA South hostels located 15 Kilometers away
from the airport where they will be accommodated ahead of their placement to
• The residence is situated in the serene environment with amble space for
recreation and spectacular setting as the inauguration of volunteering to make a
difference in the world.
• Kenya is replete with a lot of interesting and natural spectacular sites of interest
that would capture the imagination of volunteers.
• From the tour to the renowned Maasai Mara Game Reserve to visits to local
community beholding sights, the volunteers have the previledge to make choices
that would fundamentally make the difference.
• The project also offers a perfect opportunity for people who enjoy being close to
nature and are interested in the spectacular setting that traditional way of living
in the heartland of the African culture would enrich your cultural heritage
Laundry and water:
• Water is available at the hosting house from springs and it is important to
preserve water at all times due to its scarcity and cooperation with the hosts will
be highly appreciated
• There are no washing machines in the institution and the volunteer will be guided
on how to wash clothes
• Volunteers are expected to have their own medical insurance and other personal
expenses and it is important to carry your own medical and travel insurances.
• Mentor for the volunteer from the hosting organisation: KVDA
will designate its staff to play the role of mentoring and this is the vital link
between the volunteer and the organization. The Mentor has the responsibility to
enable the volunteer to efficiently execute their tasks with diligence.
• Function of mentor: advise, educate, be a role model to the volunteers;
providing problem solving, collaborative support, positive and non-evaluative
feedback and emotional support for volunteers; to provide comfort, exposure,
visibility and challenging assignments which directly support the volunteer’s
personal and professional development; to provide counselling and friendship to
support the volunteer’s self-image and competence and thus to listen, guide,
advice, teach and offer professional support to the volunteers
• The mentor will be available for the volunteer as a constant supporting person.
However, he/she should not be directly involved in the daily work of the volunteer.
• Mentor’s Experience with international volunteers: More than 3
years’ experience with international volunteers
Project participants: Maximum 15 volunteers from different nationalities
recruited through KVDA partner organizations
What to carry: This is outlined in the detailed info sheet and includes, sleeping bag
and mat, toiletries, torch, flashlight, sandals, mosquito net, national flag from your
country, among others
DONATION AND GIFTS: These are usually symbolic gestures to enhance the
solidarity of volunteers and the hosting community. Kindly contact KVDA for details in
case you are willing to support a worthy cause in the community either by offering a
donation or long-term intervention on the project.
APPLICATIONS: Should be done at least one month in advance through KVDA partner
organization in respective countries. KVDA does not accept direct applications by
Esta beca tiene una cuota adicional, que deberás pagar antes de participar en el proyecto.
Esta beca cuenta con financiamiento para boleto de avión (VIVE FINANCE NO APLICA para beneficiarios de Programa Manos por el Mundo)
Adquiere tu seguro de viajero, VIVE ASSIST te ofrece tarifas preferenciales para adquirir tu seguro de viajero, asistencia de viaje 24/7, médica, personal y legal. Así mismo este programa te apoya a resolver todas las dudas sobre tus traslados al lugar donde fuiste aceptado, te dan orientación sobre vuelos, trenes y todo lo que necesites saber sobre tu viaje.